Friday, August 24, 2012

Beans and Greens

Green beans. I absolutely hated eating them when I was growing up. I'm still not that big of a fan, but I willingly eat them now. My all time favorite way is green been casserole! Campbell's Soup provides this recipe:

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup (Regular, 98% Fat Free or Healthy Request®)
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Dash ground black pepper
4 cups cooked cut green beans
1 1/3 cups French's® French Fried Onions
  • Stir the soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans and 2/3 cup onions in a 1 1/2-quart casserole.
  • Bake at 350°F. for 25 minutes or until the bean mixture is hot and bubbling.  Stir the bean mixture.  Sprinkle with the remaining onions.
  • Bake for 5 minutes or until the onions are golden brown.

  • I myself make it really simple by just cooking the pre-cooked beans and the mushroom soup and don't add the milk or soy sauce or even the frech fried onions. It's how I ate it growing up and it's how I will make it for whenever I have kids.

    Another way my mom got me to eat my beans was in a 3 bean casserole. Another very easy recipe.
    • one can of Bushes baked beans
    • one can of kidney beans
    • 2 c pre-cooked green beans
    Mix all in a casserole dish and bake at 350 F  till bubbling. Another thing you can add is some pre-cooked bacon, yum!

    We started eating kale a few months ago and since we started eating it I had been hearing how good kale chips were. Here is the site that has led me to make 4 different kinds of kale chips. The basics to making them is to spread the leaves out on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and rub it in to coat. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes, you just want the edges to be a tiny bit browned but it still maintain its lovely green color.

    That's all for now! Next time- tofu nachos and squash casserole!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment